Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Do You Like Getting Booed?

For some reason usually the first question someone asks when they find out I officiate basketball is, Does it bother you getting booed all the time?" My answer; "you only get booed if you make a mistake and I don't get booed!"  A bit sarcastic I admit. I do get booed, but in truth not that often. The real answer is, no it does not bother me because most of the time if I get booed I deserve it. I just finished my 31st year of officiating basketball and it may have been my most enjoyable year ever. I love it. I love the friendship with my partners, I love how hard coaches work, I love how hard the kids play, I even love the fans (well... most of them).
It's funny listening to people talk about how bad a ref is or that they don't care if they get something wrong. Nothing is farther from the truth. I have worked over 1000 games and can tell you that you don't forget the ones you got wrong. It stays with you. It makes you work harder each and every time. Players don't make every shot they take but the good ones work hard to do the best they can. Coaches don't call the right play every time but they work hard to do so. Officials work hard to get it right. Most people think it is coaches and players vs the referee. That is not the case. WE work together to make the game we are playing the best that night. So, if you go to a game and you pay to get in, boo if you want... it's no big deal, but I have a better idea, cheer for your favorite team instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment